The Importance of Owning a Safe for Drugs
Although drug safes are mainly designed to securely store prescription drugs for hospitals, pharmacies, aged care facilities, veterinaries, and medical clinics, they can also be used to lock away your medicines at home. If you own an establishment that sells or distributes medicines, it is your legal responsibility to ensure that any prescription medicines on the premises are securely stored in a drug safe that complies with Australian Health & Pharmaceutical specifications. There are regular audits being conducted to confirm that your organisation complies with the regulations. On the other hand, you will also need a secure medicine safe at home to ensure that your prescription drugs will not be easily accessed by children and young adults. Leaving your medicines, even vitamins and supplements could be a health risk for anyone who ingests them incorrectly.
Since the market today offers a variety of options for drug safes, below is a guide that will simplify and expedite your search for the best safes for medicines.
1. Check Your Inventory
If you are in the business of selling or providing medicines or are taking prescription drugs at home, then you have a regular inventory of your medicine stocks. First, check which items and quantities need to be stored and list them down. Later, use this list to determine the size of the safe you will need. Moreover, you need to make sure that you have sufficient space to properly store medicines and have them easily removed when needed.
2. Choose A Locking Mechanism
There are different locking systems for medicine safes. So, you must choose which one will best suit you or your business. You can either have a digital, key, combination, and card swipe locking mechanism. Find the one that can give you the most ease, while preventing unauthorised access. Furthermore, make sure that your locks will not be easily manipulated or tampered with.
3. Ensure Compliance to Health Department Specifications
Since drugs are highly addictive and deadly if taken in incorrect doses, the Australian Health Department has issued specifications on proper medicine storage. If you are handling drugs, you have to be aware of these specifications. So, purchase a drug safe to comply with state laws and make sure that it has passed government regulations.
4. Explore Premium Brands of Safes for Medicines
Premium Safe Brands selling drug safes are compliant with Australian Health Department specifications. They could also have feature audit trail digital locking systems to supply access reports during regular government audits. Additionally, premium drugs will offer the kind of construction and locking mechanisms that will provide the most security for your medicines.
Following the above-mentioned guide will thoroughly help you find the best safes for medicines. Do product research before purchasing a drug safe and make sure your security provider can offer installation assistance as well.
At Buy A Safe, we highly recommend CMI Drug Safes for your medicine storage needs. CMI Safe Co. is Australia's leading safe manufacturer. Also, they are proudly home-grown and their use of heavy-duty metals, advanced technology in locking mechanisms, and high-end design features has made them a household name for quality safes.
CMI Drug safes are built to fully comply with Australian Health Department specifications so you can be confident that they will provide an optimal level of security and protection. Here are some of the best CMI Safes for Medicine:
CMI - DS1K - Drug Safe
A safe that's 10mm steel plate door and body follows Australian Health and Pharmaceutical specifications
- Locking mechanism: pick-resistant six lever key lock
- It has bolt holes for anchoring and 3 removable shelves.
- This drug safe is ideal for home use.
- Dimensions: H 457mm x W 305mm x D 180mm
- Weight: 45KG
CMI - DS2C - Drug Safe
- Constructed from 10mm steel plate door and body adheres to Australian Health and Pharmaceutical specifications
- Locking mechanism: combination locking
- It has bolt holes for anchoring and 4 removable shelves.
- This drug safe is ideal for storing a considerable number of medicine bottles.
- Dimensions: H 610mm x W 457mm x D 180mm
- Weight: 80KG
CMI - DS900 - Drug Safe
- Adheres with the Australian Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation Act
- Built from 10mm steel plate door and body adherent to Australian Health and Pharmaceutical specifications
- Locking mechanism: Choice of Key, Combination or Digital Locking Systems
- DS900 also comes with the locking option of Card Swipe Access with locking status switches and emergency key override
- Model DS900 has five removable and adjustable shelves
- For installation, it has 4 x 16mm bolt holes in the back with 4 x 16mm bolt holes in the base
- This drug safe is ideal for storing a considerable number of medicines.
- Dimensions: H 900mm x W 600mm x H 300mm
- Weight: 240KG
- This heavy-duty safe is huge and ideal for business use.
If you are interested in purchasing a safe for your medicines, check out our selection of durable drug safes at Buy A Safe. We are more than happy to be able to help you with your security needs!